Wednesday Afternoon

For the past week, I’ve been in finals mode. I purchased two bags of peppermint patties to bribe myself into studying (I would eat one for each full hour of studying I completed). I crammed for four exams, worked on two papers, slept for a total of maybe twenty hours, was a recluse in my old dorm’s study lounge, became very irritable after ten-plus hours of studying straight, tried to retain my sanity, walked in the cold of Michigan winter mornings (where I classify morning as 0300), carried books and notebooks all over, read myself to sleep with Quantum Mechanics, used my Astrophysics book as a pillow, copied down entire pages of my Abstract Algebra book, worked through dozens of problems for Classical Mechanics, read more research papers on alternative fuel sources than I can count, and downloaded a copy of one of Feynman’s books and read it in a single sitting.

And then, it was all over.

I got back from my quantum final around 1400, sent in my final paper for HPS, and I was done. Done. I played guitar, I read a book (Red Mars by KSR, but I’m only about 100 pages in), I ate some food, and I checked my e-mail.

Now, finals is one of the unhealthiest times of the year for me, since I don’t really sleep or eat, so I won’t even discuss those issues. Even with all of the work I put in, I still enjoyed myself and had a good time. Part of that is probably due to the fact that I leave for MDRS in 37 days, part of that is that I was with my friends for basically the entire process, and part of that is due to the fact that I was done on a Wednesday afternoon instead of a chilly Friday morning.

I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t study non-stop. After my two finals on Monday, I didn’t study at all. I came home, showered, had some food, went out to Bubble Island with a few friends, then watched Event Horizon and some GSN. I spent Friday evening doing almost nothing after revising my quantum paper, plus I watched the new Office episode that I had missed due to studying the night before. I even relaxed a little bit this morning after waking up way earlier than I had planned and finishing some last-minute studying. Everything just seemed to fall into place, well, almost everything at least.

This might have been my least stressful finals week, even with my highest number of semester credits, ridiculous classes, friends’ drama, my own thoughts, and tons of other things. I seriously don’t know how it all worked out. I even have a ton of peppermint patties left over, telling me that I could’ve studied more if I needed it. But I didn’t! I don’t know what changed from previous years, but I felt like a well-oiled machine simply going through the paces.

Maybe it was that quiz I took that told me my body could get 42 miles to the gallon…

Comments are closed.